- newOrioles decline option on Nick Markakis
The Orioles have officially declined the $17.5 million option on OF Nick Markakis for 2015, and will pay him a $2 million buyout (Oct. 30).Markakis, who turns 31 in November, hit .276 with a .342 OBP and …
- 10 hours ago30 Oct 14, 10:50pm -
- newWhy isn’t Gil Hodges in the Hall of Fame?
Gil Hodges is among the 10 names on the Golden Era ballot to be reviewed and voted upon Dec. 8 at the Baseball Winter Meetings in San Diego, the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum announced today.Hodges was …
- 13 hours ago30 Oct 14, 8:20pm -
- newMets are 40-1 to win World Series, says Vegas oddsmaker
Las Vegas oddsmaker Bovada lists the Mets as a 40-1 shot at winning next year’s World Series, ranking better than just just seven teams, including the Marlins and Phillies…NL East TeamBovada OddsNationals15-2Braves22-1Mets40-1…
- 13 hours ago30 Oct 14, 7:40pm -
- newWilmer Flores is Sandy Alderson’s best option at SS
Brian Mangan: FanGraphs projects that Wilmer Flores will hit 14 HR and 68 RBI in only 475 at bats next season, making him the fourth best player on his team next season.It might be a stretch to say he’ll …
- 14 hours ago30 Oct 14, 6:35pm -
- newThe cost of Dillon Gee, who may get traded this winter
Mets RHP Dillon Gee can expect a $1.3 million raise and a total salary of $4.9 million in 2015, based on calculations by Dan Masi and Jesse Kantor from Pace Law School (ESPN NY, Oct. 29).MLB Trade …
- 16 hours ago30 Oct 14, 5:07pm -
- newFree agency started today at 9 a.m.
MLB’s free agency began today at 9 a.m, the day after the final out of the World Series.The Mets have an exclusive five day window to negotiate with their only free agent, Daisuke Matsuzaka, after which he can …
- 18 hours ago30 Oct 14, 2:45pm -
- newDaily News: Vic Black and volunteer crew spruce up Staten Island school
Vic Black and a crew helped create a baseball diamond and other improvements at a hight school that took in 17 feet of water during Hurricane Sandy. The playground is still shuttered because of potential sinkholes >> Read more in …
- 18 hours ago30 Oct 14, 2:40pm -
- new‘We need this in Queens’
Matthew Cerrone: This is awesome! Nice work, Darren Meenan, who traveled to Kansas City for last night’s Game 7, rooted for the Royals, but raised this sign to FOX cameras while wearing his Mets gear:…
- 18 hours ago30 Oct 14, 2:30pm -
- Mets hurler Vic Black marks Hurricane Sandy anniversary with service work
Mets reliever Vic Black threw a different kind of save Wednesday for a group of lucky elementary school kids in Staten Island.
- 1 day ago29 Oct 14, 9:45pm -
- Wheelchair no handicap for Mets fan calendar model Amanda Perla
Amanda Perla thought for sure her wheelchair would be an issue. Sure, she was wearing a bright blue Mets cap and a bright blue shirt and was flashing a smile perfect enough for a toothpaste ad. But she thought the wheelchair would be what people woul…
- 7 days ago24 Oct 14, 4:15pm -
- Mets name Kevin Long new hitting coach
The Mets apparently did not have to look far and wide for a new hitting coach. Thursday, they officially hired Kevin Long, who had spent the last eight years working in the same capacity with the Yankees.
- 7 days ago24 Oct 14, 12:20pm -
- Mets to meet with former Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long: source
The Mets are moving forward with the process of hiring a hitting coach. According to an industry source, former Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long will meet with the Mets about the position Wednesday.
- 9 days ago22 Oct 14, 5:40am -
- Mets foreshadow World Series with Royal Giants uniforms
Nobody could have possibly predicted the Kansas City Royals and San Francisco Giants would play in the World Series earlier this year, except for the Mets? It sure looks that way.
- 12 days ago19 Oct 14, 3:12am -
- Harper: Yankees, Mets can't match Giants shortstop Brandon Crawford
Friday’s San Francisco Chronicle devoted six full pages to the Giants’ series-clinching win over the Cardinals, and I couldn’t find a single mention of the brilliant and potentially game-saving play by shortstop Brandon Crawford.
- 13 days ago18 Oct 14, 3:22am -
- Mets begin work on moving in Citi Field fences
The Mets drew a line in the sand, or actually the dirt, Wednesday. On their official Twitter account Wednesday, the team posted ambiguous pictures of a line in the warning track dirt in right-center and right field with the caption "work has begun."…
- 15 days ago16 Oct 14, 2:00am -
- Yankees, Mets reach out to Dave Magadan about hitting coach job
Ex-Met Dave Magadan has emerged as a candidate to be Kevin Long's replacement as Yankee hitting coach, according to sources, and the Mets have reached out to him as well.
- 16 days ago15 Oct 14, 4:28am -
- newMets free agency: Outfielder Alex Rios on the Mets' radar?
The Mets may be in search of an outfielder. Alex Rios is in search of a team. Is there a fit?The day after the end of the World Series means one thing: The beginning of the free agency period in Major League Baseball. Along with that comes the quest…
- 6 hours ago31 Oct 14, 2:53am -
- newJuan Lagares wins Fielding Bible award for outstanding defense
The center fielder's talents will be recognized in this year's The Bill James Handbook.It's not often that Mets position players are honored by baseball experts, so today should be a happy day for Mets fans. Juan Lagares has been named the top cente…
- 11 hours ago30 Oct 14, 9:51pm -
- newThe 25 best Mets prospects I saw this year: 25-21
We kick off my annual look at the best Mets prospects I saw this year with a group of arms that are probably headed for the bullpen and Wilfredo Tovar...again.It's that time of year again. The minor league seasons have wrapped up, the Arizona Fall L…
- 16 hours ago30 Oct 14, 5:00pm -
- new2014 Mets Season Review: Vic Black
While wildness persisted at times, Vic Black nearly perfected the art of pitching out of trouble this year.Entering the 2014 season, Vic Black was among the favorites to lock down a spot in the bullpen. However, a rough and wild spring, during which…
- 18 hours ago30 Oct 14, 3:00pm -
- new2014 Mets Season Review: Eric Young Jr.
The switch-hitting outfielder got less at-bats than in 2013, so that's something.The Mets did all they could to relegate Eric Young Jr. to a smaller role in 2014. They brought in Curtis Granderson to replace Marlon Byrd. Chris Young was imported on…
- 19 hours ago30 Oct 14, 2:00pm -
- newMets Morning News: Vic Black healthy, Giants win the World Series again
Your Thursday morning dose of New York Mets and Major League Baseball news, notes, and links.Meet the MetsMembers of the team stopped by a Staten Island elementary school for a service project on the anniversary of Hurricane Sandy. While there, b…
- 20 hours ago30 Oct 14, 12:31pm -
- Joe Maddon will be the Cubs' next manager
In less than a week, Maddon has found a new home and it won't be in New York.The Chicago Cubs have hired Joe Maddon to be their next manager, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports. On October 24, Maddon opted out of his contract with the Tampa Bay Ra…
- 1 day ago30 Oct 14, 2:08am -
- 2014 Mets Season Review: Wilmer Flores
The infielder of the future split time between Queens and Las Vegas last season.All too often in 2014, the Mets had questions regarding the middle of their infield. Not often enough, the answer to that problem was Wilmer Flores. With starting shorts…
- 2 days ago29 Oct 14, 6:00pm -
The Google Ads Will Go Here!
- Quick Hits: Abreu, Thornton, Hicks
The Mets have announced that they will promote former star outfielder Bobby Abreu from Triple-A Las Vegas tomorrow. Abreu is 40 and hasn't played in the big leagues since 2012, which he spent with the Angels and Dodgers. But he made a good impression…
- 21 Apr 14, 1:43am -
- Quick Hits: Hardy, Gonzalez, Hanrahan, Davis, Harang
The Orioles are in Boston for a wraparound series with the Red Sox culminating tomorrow on Patriots' Day. Mike Seal, the agent for J.J. Hardy is in Boston this weekend, but the Orioles shortstop says it's not for extension talks. "He's here because h…
- 20 Apr 14, 10:00pm -
- Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers
Service time is often among the most important factors when determining when to promote a top prospect, a new analysis by Baseball Prospectus suggests (via FOX Sports). For followers of teams such as the Astros, who recently netted themselves an extr…
- 20 Apr 14, 2:38am -
- NL East Notes: Mets, Braves
Mets manager Terry Collins says he expects Lucas Duda to settle in and produce now that the Ike Davis trade has opened up the club's full-time first base job, MLB.com's Spencer Fordin reports. Duda, however, says he doesn't feel much has changed. "If…
- 20 Apr 14, 12:45am -
- Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment
SATURDAY: Lannan has accepted the assignment, ESPN's Adam Rubin tweets. WEDNESDAY: The Mets have outrighted left-hander John Lannan to Triple-A Las Vegas and purchased the contract of right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka, tweets MLB.com's Anthony DiComo. L…
- 19 Apr 14, 11:00pm -
- NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis
The Braves don't get as much attention as the Cardinals, Athletics or Rays for being well-run teams, but perhaps they should, the New York Post's Joel Sherman suggests. The Braves' relative lack of postseason success may be one factor, says Sherman,…
- 19 Apr 14, 9:21pm -
- NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu
Toolsy Pirates outfield prospect Gregory Polanco ought to be the next top prospect to win a promotion, MLB.com's Jim Callis writes. MLB.com ranked Polanco the No. 13 prospect in baseball heading into the season, and he's done nothing to diminish his…
- 19 Apr 14, 6:25pm -
- Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets
SATURDAY: The PTBNL in the deal is likely to be a 2013 draft pick, Heyman tweets. He also notes that that player, and not Thornton, is the "key piece." 2013 picks will not be eligible to be traded until the summer. FRIDAY 6:22pm: The PTBNL is "fairly…
- 19 Apr 14, 2:25pm -
- newAllen, Wills among new faces on Hall's Golden Era ballot
Nine former players and one executive make up the 10-person National Baseball Hall of Fame Golden Era ballot, which will be voted on Dec. 8 at the Winter Meetings in San Diego.
- 16 hours ago30 Oct 14, 5:09pm -
- newMets receive eight GIBBY Award nominations
A 79-83 season still featured several bright spots for the Mets, whether it was Jacob deGrom's sparkling debut, Juan Lagares' exploits in center field or Lucas Duda's powerful emergence. Those three account for four of the Mets' eight nominations for…
- 16 hours ago30 Oct 14, 4:54pm -
- newMets' 2015 plan includes small but impactful changes
The Mets have no grand plans to change much over the winter. When pitchers and catchers report to Port St. Lucie, Fla., four and a half months from now, the roster will not look markedly different from the one that populated Citi Field last Sunday. B…
- 17 hours ago30 Oct 14, 4:17pm -
- Fall Stars Game filled to brim with talent
Several of the best prospects in baseball will collide on Saturday in the ninth annual Fall Stars Game, the yearly All-Star Game for the Arizona Fall League. This year's rosters feature 14 players from MLBPipeline.com's Top 100 Prospects list.
- 2 days ago29 Oct 14, 4:50am -
- Mets announce 2015 Spring Training schedule
The Mets' 2015 Spring Training schedule will include 33 games -- and 15 at Tradition Field in Port St. Lucie -- between March 4 and April 4.
- 4 days ago27 Oct 14, 6:19pm -
- Nimmo headlines talented Mets AFL class
A raw talent coming out of high school in Wyoming, outfielder Brandon Nimmo has worked hard to refine his game since the Mets made him the 13th overall pick of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft. That effort was rewarded this season, as his potential w…
- 4 days ago27 Oct 14, 4:26pm -
- Familia undergoes successful sports hernia surgery
Mets reliever Jeurys Familia underwent successful surgery Friday to repair bilateral sports hernias, the team announced. Familia was already on his way home to the Dominican Republic at the time of the announcement.
- 5 days ago25 Oct 14, 9:33pm -
- Lagares named finalist for Gold Glove Award
In his second Major League season, the Mets' Juan Lagares was recognized for his defensive prowess Thursday when he was unveiled as a finalist for the Rawlings Gold Glove Award among NL center fielders.
- 7 days ago24 Oct 14, 12:49am -
- Where will the line be drawn when it comes to advertising on NBA?
NBA currently has a television deal with ESPN and Turner worth as much as $930 million. This deal is due for expiration in 2016. This explains why NBA got on a 9 year deal worth $24 billion. This kind of deal will translate to an increase in NBA’s…
- 3 days ago28 Oct 14, 5:49pm -
- Touch Base with the Best Games at CaesarsCasino.com
The 2014 World Series is underway and the Kansas City Royals are taking on the San Francisco Giants for the ultimate honors in baseball. There are plenty of accolades to go around, and Kansas City certainly deserves praise for its monumental efforts…
- 3 days ago28 Oct 14, 5:48pm -
- Why you should bet on the Mets
The Mets are a New York professional baseball team that’s based in the borough of Queens, New York. The Mets were founded in 1962 and have been among the best teams in baseball. The longevity of the team gives you more reasons to bet on them. But a…
- 8 days ago23 Oct 14, 6:06pm -
- There’s A Right Way And A Wrong Way To Run A Bullpen
So we are all set for the San Francisco Giants and the Kansas City Royals to meet in the 2014 World Series. As a Mets fan this post season gets tougher and tougher to watch as we see ball parks full of fans (notice no empty seats at either AT&T…
- 14 days ago17 Oct 14, 3:11pm -
- Citi Field Still Under Construction
There was nothing with the fences at this place What do Citi Field and the Belt Parkway have in common? They are both constantly under construction. Is there a ball park in the country that has gone under so many renovations in such a short ti…
- 17 days ago14 Oct 14, 5:05pm -
- Can Man United Win the 2014/15 Title?
Now there’s an interesting question to pose? Is it at all humanly possible for them to drag themselves back into the title race? You might say they are almost mid table, but that would be unfair. They currently sit within the top 10, but with stiff…
- 21 days ago10 Oct 14, 5:02pm -
- Post Season Thoughts
I would take Puig on the Mets in a HEARTBEAT!!!! Some rants and raves on the MLB post season: This has not been a great post season for managers unless your name is Showalter or Bochy. Matt Williams managed his Nationals like a neophyte. Ned Yost h…
- 22 days ago9 Oct 14, 1:14pm -
- Happy Anniversary Bobby Thompson and The Shot Heard ‘Round The World
Back in 1951, my family lived in a 4 story walk up tenement in Sunset Park Brooklyn. My dad was the lone NY Giants fan in the building; hell I think he was the only Giants fan in Sunset Park. When the Dodgers won an NL Pennant, the neighbors wou…
- 28 days ago3 Oct 14, 1:55pm -